For those nature lovers who wish to make the most of what South Africa has to offer, are world class, exclusive and luxurious types of accommodation. Many are featured in top travel magazines and web magazines, which means that you can verify them easily by checking out travel awards given to top hotels in the world.
Some of these hotels in South Africa are the Mount Nelson, the Table Bay, the Westcliffe, the Cape Grace, the Plettenberg, the Grande Roche, and the Arabella Sheraton Grand. Every hotel and resort in the country is encouraged to be graded by the Tourism Grading Council of South Africa (TGCSA) which operates under the South African Tourism agency. They use the 5 star systems which is the internationally accepted standard which is very helpful in giving potential guests an idea of what to expect. Every hotel that volunteers grade goes through yearly inspections, and there are currently about 8 000 star-rated facilities around the country.
Some of the Top 5 Star Hotels in South Africa
- The Grace in Johannesburg is a 5 star, child-friendly sophisticated hotel in Rosebank. It calls itself “a home” because it is not affiliated with any large hotel group and operates independently. One can expect top personalized service as the hotel has been awarded Best Luxury City Hotel from the AA and the SAA Accommodations Award in 1999, and was ranked 3rd in the world for service in 2001.
- The Michelangelo Towers in Sandton is a businessman’s dream hotel. It has impeccable accommodation and VIP services including classic South African dishes, proximity to the convention centre, a shopping mall, and a glorious view of Gauteng and the Magaliesberg Mountains.
- Although the Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa has an unusual name, its reputation is known in the upper circles as being the best hotel spa in the country. It was voted as the best city hotel in 2009 by a well-respected travel magazine and is located near Camps Bay and near Cape Town. Its heated infinity pool, 5 star spa services, views, and sports facilities are just some of the hotel’s attractions.
- The Saxon in Johannesburg cannot be found in just any travel magazine. Its exclusivity is its appeal to the rich celebrities and VIPS who visit the boutique hotel regularly. It has earned the distinction of being the “Best Boutique Hotel on Earth” in 2002. If its expensive prices don’t make you screech to a stop, the difficulty of getting a suite especially during the peak months will make you want to scream with frustration. That is unless you have a royal name or easily recognized as part of the world’s elite.
Some of the Top Game Reserves in South Africa
- Thanda Royal Private Game Reserve will leave you gasping at the splendour and magnificence of the facilities – even if you’re just viewing its website. This exclusive game reserve is near Richards Bay airport, 23 kilometres north of Hluhluwe. Aside from the safari adventures, one can also book weddings and special events in Thanda. One can go diving, swimming, go on crocodile and hippo tours, whale watch, or visit traditional villages. If you feel that your current camera isn’t of high enough quality to truly capture Africa’s wildlife in an adequate way, check out the cameras for sale at a good local store or a reputable online shop.
- Samara Private Game Reserve is an amazing experience for a price. There are 3 types of accommodation: Karoo Lodge, Mansion, and Mountain Retreat. The Karoo Lodge has different air-conditioned luxury suites that are designed to look like cottages. You can step out to your patio and the game reserve is right in front of you. The Manor is a large house that can accommodate 8 people while the Mountain Retreat is like a family home for 10. Both come with impeccable service that includes a chef, a butler, and a personal ranger. The Manor is actually owned by a family who rents it out when they are not there.
- Also check out Isibindi Africa Lodges at www.isibindiafrica.co.za